Flashpoint Labs is a socially innovative Photography & Film Agency and Training Academy. On every job, we employ and mentor Indigenous or diverse youth, who work as paid apprentices.
Flashpoint Labs was co-founded by Leanne Townsend and Mickey Kovari in 2011. Together, Leanne and Mickey developed the idea of changemaking photography, began running programs with young people from diverse backgrounds and created the professional photography agency.
In 2013, Tomasz Machnik joined Flashpoint Labs as the Lead Photographer to lead the delivery of our professional services, the professional development of our young apprentices and the facilitation of our programs.
In 2017, Tomasz became Company Director and has been growing the organisation organically and patiently. Tomasz is an award winning photographer and to find out more, you can view his advertising folio here.
Along with Tomasz, there is a team of hard working and compassionate producers, photographers and film makers all working together in the name of social impact and improving youth employment opportunities in the creative industry.
Flashpoint Labs wouldn’t be what is is today without the passionate hard work and support from Saskia Wilson, Eva Kovari, The Vasudhara Foundation, The Sydney Story Factory, Joe Tighe, Ben Green and to everyone who has played a role in the Flashpoint Labs story. The story continues…
A brilliant world, that is compassionate, just, sustainable and creative.
To empower Indigenous and diverse youth to be creative professionals and changemakers by delivering breakthrough learning experiences and providing on-going coaching, support and connection to industry.
Connectedness. Timelessness. Boundlessness.
– make a dent in the universe: we show our genuine passion and drive.
– empower everybody: we seek to enable others to learn, develop and thrive.
– be ethical: we are universally conscious and have integrity and strong morals.
– make every experience delightful and meaningful: we surprise and always think about the details.
– get back up and keep going: we have resilience and grit.
– weird is good: uniqueness differentiates us and sets us apart.
– never stop learning: we seek knowledge and wisdom and we are open to change. We stay nimble and agile, we pivot, shift and innovate.
– bake more pie: we have an abundance mentality where we try to make everyone win.
– be creative: we express ourselves and inspire the imagination of others, we make art and seek novel solutions.
– aim for the stars, keep your feet on the ground: we are ambitious while staying humble and modest.
WORK WITH US
If you want to work with Flashpoint Labs and join our roster of professional photographers who double as mentors for young people from Indigenous or diverse backgrounds, get in touch with us at via email.
If you are interested in becoming an apprentice, we would love to hear from you. You don’t need any prior experience, just a passion to learn.